Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Winter Solstice Full Moon Lunar Eclipse II

Lunar Eclipse Coming Out of Totality

I put up a slide show of a couple of my favorite shots from the eclipse. 


I went up on the roof of my 10-story building intending to shoot the whole thing, but it was quite cold and the wind was blowing so I had to go back in and redress myself to deal with the wind. I also had bought a zoom/telephoto lens to get a closer view (I've been shooting on a fixed length lens for a year) and it took awhile to figure out exactly which settings on everything was working like I wanted (note to self - don't buy new equipment on the same day as an event). Then it was back to roof.  


I stayed up there shooting pictures until the moon went completely orange. My fingers and toes were fairly numb by that point so I went back in to warm up and realized that I had an unobstructed view from my roommate's window (doy). So I watched the totality phase from there. It was much much warmer and more comfortable sitting on an exercise ball and watching behind a closed window. I believe I've lost some of my desert camping hardiness living the soft life of a city dweller.


After awhile some clouds rolled in and the moon was obscured so I stopped taking photos for awhile. Then the clouds cleared and the totality phase ended (shown in the photo above). I finally gave it up and went to bed at 4:30 am. I might have stayed up through the solstice sunrise, which would have been nice to shoot to cap off the night, but I had to go to work the next day.


All in all, it was a nice night and I'm so glad I watched it.

No comments: