Wednesday, November 11, 2009

My Parent's House



My cat was getting lonely at home all by herself so I sent her to stay with my parents for a few months. My parents have a lot of animals. At last count they had 3 dogs, 2 cats, 5 birds, 1 tortoise, 1 iguana, 2 bearded dragons, a couple of fish and a bunch of snakes. My nephew is responsible for bringing most of the animals into the house, but he quickly lost interest in all of them and they became my parent's (mostly my mother's) responsibility. My mother also puts food out for the black vultures and buzzards that live in their area. There is a flock that waits in the morning for my mother to come outside and then they follow her around the yard like she's the kool-aid mom handing out cookies.


Strange things happen between the animals in and around my mother's house. One of the dogs, Bear, will often lie outside on the porch with the vultures and buzzards hanging out around him. My mother told me that last week he was wandering around the back yard and the birds were following him. Imagine a big Chow/Husky mix meandering through the yard with half a dozen vultures trailing behind him.


They have a black cat that they rescued from underneath a trailer when he was a very young kitten. Their dog Bear seemed to take responsibility for the kitten and now the cat thinks it's a dog. That cat follows Bear everywhere and cuddles up with him when they are all laying around the house at night.


The photo above shows my cat, Teddy, their dog Muffy and their tortoise, Speedy. When they got the tortoise she was about the size of the palm of an adult's hand. If you look at the photo above you can see that the tortoise is now bigger than the cat (who weighs in at about 14 pounds) and is as big as the little dog. The tortoise weighs in at about 40 pounds. Apparently they can grow to almost 100 pounds. Apparently the cat, the dog and tortoise all like to hang out in the warmth of the clip lamp together.


Oh and I haven't even told you about the bird that lives on my mother's shoulder and shares her tea with her in the morning. It aint natural.

No comments: